The town of Edinboro dates all the way back to the Eriez, Iroquois, and Cornplanter Native American tribes, when Edinboro was just a territory. They were the first known residents of the area, and called the region Conneauttee, meaning "land of the living snowflake.” The town was formed from 1801 to 1825 when congregations of the Presbyterian and Methodist churches began moving to the area to build houses and churches, some of which still stand today. The original resident, William Culbertson, built the first school in 1825. In 1857, an academy was started that was renamed the State Normal School in 1861 and would eventually become Edinboro State College. Fast forward to the 1960's, the town experienced tremendous growth, with around four hundred building permits issued for both housing and businesses. The borough's Home Rule Charter was adopted in 1974, with a new municipal building constructed in 1975. In 1980, the census placed Edinboro first in population growth in Erie County, with a population increase of 30% from 1970 to 1980 to a total of 6,324 residents. In 1983, Edinboro State College received full accreditation by the state and was officially renamed Edinboro University of Pennsylvania. The businesses in the borough continue to thrive and grow, and residents and visitors alike enjoy the beautiful lake each summer.